Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Arrival of the Dixie Chicks

The girls are here and seem to be loving their new home. I love to watch them kicking and scratching around their warming pen, or brooder, or whatever you want to call it. They all seem to have distinctly different personalities as well as an established "pecking order." The only problem I foresee thus far is the Jack Russell. There has been a great deal of consternation, anxiety, and, lip licking, since the chicks arrived. Cha Cha no longer rules the roost (I had to say it) in the same way. I'm hoping when the coop is finally complete and all the birds are outside, things will change and their presence will be old hat. I know that is wishful thinking on my part. The coop progression is plodding along. I wish Dennis and I could take a week off together and knock it out, but even so, the weather isn't forecasted to be very conducive to coop building anyway. After today, rain, rain, and more rain. Enough with the effing rain already.... Here are a few pics of the new chicks. Oh yeah, their names are: Purl (duh, you knew that was a must), Pip, and Dixie. Purl is the Easter Egger, Pip is the Production Red, and Dixie is the Welsummer. It's a little hard to tell who is who in these pictures because of the red light of the warming pen, or as I call it, The Red Light District, but Purl is the white, Pip is the Red, and Dixie is the brownish colored chick.

No comments:

Post a Comment